There is something special about making things from scratch. Whether it's a batch of caramels, a delicious curry, or even something crafty, making something from a pile of raw materials always makes me happy.
But I have a rule about making things: I don't make bread. In fact, I am terrible at bread. Beyond terrible, really. It never rises, it never turns out the way I want it to, it's just generally an all-round disaster.
This weekend though, with time on my hands, I tackled bread. Monkey bread! Which sounds ridiculous, but it is really just ridiculously delicious. And oh so bad for you, with it's butter, sugar, caramel goodness. And better yet, it worked! It rose, it baked, it was even fluffy in the middle. Hooray!
Things that are making me smile this week:
- World's biggest silpat as a christmas gift finally getting some use (2' X 3'!).
- A few days off after a gruelling few weeks of work.
- Hot yoga! In the middle of the day! Just because I make my own schedule.
- Nice weather and photos just waiting to be taken.
- New projects.
- Listening to old Nirvana albums and sewing up a storm.